The top tends for 2012 compared to the year before in the U.S.:
- Smartphone users will increase from 90 million to 107 million. Market penetration will reach 44% of mobile phone users.
- Adult ereader users will increase from 33 to 46 million. 24% of Internet users will use an ereader.
- Tablet users will grow from 34 to 55 million. Nearly one-out-of-four Internet users will use a tablet.
- Online video viewers will grow from 158 to 169 million with 71% of Internet users viewing online video
- Mobile video viewers will rise from 45 to 55 million. One-out-of-three online video viewers will watch on a mobile device.
- Online video ad spending will reach $3.1 billion, up from $2.2 billion.
Further, non-video content is often supported by in-page video ads that expand when the user clicks on them. Video ads are considered more engaging and effective than static banners.
Source: John Potter, VP/Training, RAB